The chenille bedspread from my paternal grandmother already showed signs of wear when I inherited it six years ago. Over time, the the thinning threads near the top of the spread finally broke and grew into two small tears.
I have learned from experience that it is best to repair a tear early. Avoiding and/or postponing the repair results in heartache. The tear gets worse, and I reprimand myself for not taking better care of what I have, which unleashes a long trail of self-inquiry that frankly is better spent weeding in the garden or focusing on maintaining/repairing other things.
I made a small patch from some floral flannel to cover the hole on the interior side of the blanket. And sewed larger patches on the exterior of a bright pink with dragonflies.
I found it easier to hand sew the project than try to wrestle the fabric under the arm of my sewing machine. I don't think it would have fit either. And I like the hand stitched look of the patches.
While working on my project, my youngest son was inspired to do some stitching himself. Very exciting for me.