Monday, March 12, 2012

Apiary Upkeep

Eric and I took advantage of the great weather to open the hive and do some necessary maintenance.

Eric prepped a blue deep box. We put the deep on the bottom. We had some deep frames mixed with short frames in our regular supers. We pulled all the deep frames and put them into the new blue super. The bees had drawn comb below some of the short frames next to the deep frames, so I cut that off and tied it into new frames.

We thought we might cut out some honey, but after moving the boxes about, we decided to let the bees have time to acclimatize to the changes. I hope to go on a solo mission for honey, with Eric as my mentor, in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.